This is one of the biggest dilemmas for me as a book reviewer: when should I assign only 2 stars?
I don’t do half stars so my ratings have a 60% chance of being positive, then 40% chance of being negative. I consider a 3 star review to be positive and usually assign them to ‘meh’ books that are at least reasonably well written but just don’t appeal to my tastes – I always make it clear in my review that this is the case.
I reserve single star ratings for books that are completely unreadable or downright offensive, there’s only ever been one book that I’ve found that offensive before – I decided not even to review it in the end so I didn’t promote it by proxy.
A 2 star review isn’t something I take lightly because you’re telling the world that you don’t like an author’s work, so I’m trying to come up with some criteria to follow when I’m dithering over it
- Very poorly edited; typos, repetition (doesn’t count in ARC form)
- Story is clearly plagarised from other books or media
- A book I had to skim read to even finish
It’s an incomplete list, as you can see so I need some help! How do you decide when to assign 2 stars to a review? Do any of you just refuse to publish reviews below a 3?